Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

What is Psoriatic Arthritis?

Well the short answer?  It's terrible!

The long answer?  Psoriatic arthritis is a form of arthritis that has psoriasis as a piggyback symptom. Many people - myself included - develop the psoriasis first, then the arthritis.  One day I had a little raised bump on my hairline and freaked out because it appeared at first to be ringworm.  Ack! Ringworm?  No thanks!  I started to carpet bomb it with everything in my natural remedies arsenal and beyond.  Tea tree oil, coconut oil, Head & Shoulders, Selsun Blue and finally a medicated bottle of Ketoconazole Shampoo, 2% (prescribed by a Dr. in the hospital) - but all to no avail.  Nothing worked really well.  Actually, the coconut oil did!  It helped clear out the scales and softened my scalp.

My symptoms that really are textbook psoriatic arthritis ones are as follows:

* Itchy red/brown/white scales of varying sizes all over my body (arms, legs, back, scalp, ears)
* Fingernail pitting on my left thumb and 1 toenail (pictured here at the bottom of the post)
* Enlarged finger (Just one.  It's weird. lol)
* Stiff joints in my knees.
* Sore upper back
* Sore lower back by the end of the day
* Stiff neck

Signs of psoriasis can be misdiagnosed as ringworm (it happened to me) so beware.  If you are prescribed something that after awhile doesn't work - my shampoos - then either seek a second opinion from another Dr. or seek the advice of a good dermatologist.  I used anti-fungals such as Tinactin and Clotrimazole creams on my patches and they initially softened the area enough so I could shampoo the scales out but they always came back and usually with a vengeance.  Arrgghh...it was super annoying. But now I realize that it was because I didn't have a fungus it was just psoriasis!  I was using the wrong antidote for the wrong illness so it was all just wrong, wrong, wrong.

I can't emphasize this enough.  Get the right diagnosis sooner rather than later!  It will save you time, money and frustration in the end.

Now I want to hear from you guys, did you get psoriasis first as a sign that you had psoriatic arthritis? Or did it come later?  For me it was foot pain, psoriasis, then arthritis set it in big time.  A slow progression starting in August 2013.

My best,

Psssstt....Song of the Week is Macklemore "Can't Stop Us" because really?  Can we let something as annoying as psoriasis make us turn into hermits when the world outside is sooooo beautiful?  Nah! :o)

2 comments:

Richard Holt said...

JUST SOME INFO TO KNOW THAT I AM OUT THERE, CHECK IT OUT?
RICHARDS REMEDY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JbfK663KGs
ONE PRODUCT MANY USES
WHO IS PROTECTING YOUR SKIN
TRY BEFORE YOU BUY, REQUEST YOUR FREE SAMPLE
LIKE ON FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Richards-Remedy/110604302297164?ref=br_rs

Richard Holt said...

RICHARDS REMEDY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JbfK663KGs
ONE PRODUCT MANY USES
WHO IS PROTECTING YOUR SKIN
TRY BEFORE YOU BUY, REQUEST YOUR FREE SAMPLE
LIKE ON FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Richards-Remedy/110604302297164?ref=br_rs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...