Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

I Got Sick. Part Deux.

Okay so where did I leave off?  In yesterday's post I told you that I had fallen ill.  It started with my foot and spread to other parts and joints of my body.  I was in excruciating pain all day and I was popping NSAID's (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, ie, ibuprofen & tylenol) like they were going out of style.  And I hated it because I used to never take pain medicine.  If I had a headache or an ache I would internalize it and think to myself "Self, why is this pain present?" and then realize that I had skipped breakfast and it was 10:00 a.m. and I was woozy and irritated.  Then I'd eat a banana and be fine in 15-20 minutes.

This wasn't the same kind of pain.  It was all over and persistent.  And finally nothing seemed to be working and I didn't want to be on pain meds forever and always so I decided to go to my local clinic and see my SCP - Sometimes Care Physician.  Thankfully, up until now I've never had to see a Dr. more than maybe once a year for a sinus infection.  And before all this I hadn't seen a Dr. in a couple of years.  3 maybe?  I go to the Dr. and describe all my symptoms and she thinks that I have a pinched nerve in my back and she subscribes 20mg of Prednisone to help eliminate the inflammation.  I go home and am grateful for the medicine because the 1st day I felt so good and I realized I was able to start smiling again.  Isn't that sad?  I hadn't realized how sad I had become due to my situation.  A lack of a smile from me is usually a good indicator that something is seriously wrong in my world.

Well the next day I felt about the same as the 1st with the meds in full effect.  By the end of my treatment I was feeling the same pain.  The inflammation came back with a vengeance and I was starting to get panicked because my Dr. wouldn't refill my medicine until she saw me again and looked at my blood work.  I cried.  Ooooohhhhh how I cried!!!!!  My poor husband was at a loss as to how to help me other than what he had done so far which was already so much.  He set me up with a heating pad, round the clock cups of tea, food, entertainment (when I was awake because I slept alot during the day because at night it was hard to lay down and find a good position).

It was Presidents Day weekend so alot of pharmacy's - if not all - were closing early, closed, or wouldn't be open again until Tuesday.  I was on the phone with my Dr. on a Friday...womp, womp...so I parceled out the last of my Prednisone and then just prayed that I would make it through the weekend on the NSAID's that I had.

Thankfully my father called me the next day.  I remember it well.  It was a Saturday morning and I was under my covers shivering because I was cold and my blinds were open because I liked to look outside during the day and have the room not be so cavernous.

The phone rang.

I saw it was my dad but I didn't feel up to answering his questions.  I mean how many times can I say "I'm fine." to someone when I'm clearly not fine?  So I let it ring for far too long until the sound of the ringtone grated more on my nerves than any question he could ever ask me.  So I picked up.

"Hi Dad."
"Hi Lynn, how are you doing?"

And then I broke down...my dad was in NY on business and not even around to see how bad of a shape I was in but he was so concerned for my well being that he called me all day, ever day at random times and always sounded eager to hear that I was doing okay.  So everything that I had been holding in for months and not letting out just finally bubbled up to the surface and I snapped.

I started crying and yelling "HOW AM I???? I'M MISERABLE THAT'S HOW I AM!!! I CAN'T SLEEP AT NIGHT, MY WHOLE BODY IS SCREAMING IN PAIN AND MY STUPID DR. WON'T PRESCRIBE ME ANY MORE MEDICINE UNTIL TUESDAY THE EARLIEST POSSIBLY!!!!  I FEEL LIKE I'M DYING!!!!!"

After my wild womans rant ended, my dad was silent for only a moment before he said calmly and seriously "Lynn, get dressed and have your husband take you to the hospital IMMEDIATELY."

Aaaaand tomorrow I will tell you more about what happened next.  Another side effect of the Prednisone? Rapid heart rate.  So my heartbeat right now sounds like a Budweiser Clydesdale in my chest and I need to calm down a bit.  Tune in tomorrow for the next installment!

My best,

psstt....I hope that you have listened to the Song Of the Week by now.  Kimbra is on fire!

3 comments:

Itiel McVay said...

Often thinking about, I was very happy to see your post in my blog feed this morning.

Itiel McVay said...

*you

Lynn said...

Itiel!!!!! (hugs) I have also thought of you often. Yep, I'm back with a vengeance. Haha. So nice to hear from you again.

My best, Lynn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...