Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

DIY Heat Pack

New here? Start here...


Did You Know...
...that Asia is home to 250 million rice farms? - sourcing.indiamart.com


So to say that there is rice to spare for this DIY safe beauty tip is an understatement. I have been using rice socks for a heat pack since I was a little girl. I was in a terrible car accident when I was younger and it gave me back troubles for a few years. My chiropractor suggested that my parents buy his rice sock for my aches and pains.

And when I say rice sock, that is exactly what it was. A sock with rice in it. But it worked wonders! I loved it. After the high pressure sales tactic he used on my folks to buy his new fangled product, my dad realized that it wasn't anything special inside that was easing my achy bones but instead that it was indeed just rice. So instead of reaching into his hard earned savings to buy more for any of the rest of the family he just started making a few of his own and from then on out it's been smooth sailing. For me at least.

Here is how you can make your own rice sock at home in a very short period of time. Lickety split as the kids like to say.

Step 1: (we can have lots of fun) Sorry. New Kids On the Block relapse. What!? They were all that and a bag of chips back then. lol. Okay enough of my reminiscing and back to the sock...
Pick out a favorite sock. Plain or fancy-do with a pattern. Whatever the style just make sure it has no holes in it.

Step 2: Fill said sock with rice and tie a knot in the top of it.

Step 3: Toss it into the microwave for 25-30 seconds.

Step 4: Apply it to sore or achy area but word of caution - some microwaves are overachievers in the heating department and so don't overdue it. The center of the sock is usually hotter than the outer layer so your chances of getting burned are definitely there. Use caution like letting it sit for a few seconds before putting it onto skin. Or put a barrier like a thin towel between your skin and the sock until it cools down a bit.

And there you have it. You have just made your own heat pack rice sock at home. Enjoy!


My best,
Song of the Week: Just for old times sake and since the reference up above won't leave my head, how about we just run with the NKOTB as the Song of the Week? Come on...you know you love their wind machine moments and the cheesiness of 90's pop boy bands too... ;o)
New Kids On the Block "Step by Step"

4 comments:

NatureGirl said...

We have been using our homemade rice socks for years! I just finally made a new one cuz the old reheated a million times rice was not heating any more! Do you have any suggestions for perking an old one back up?

Lynn said...

I think to remedy this situation, I would just replace the rice not the sock. Unless of course it's sporting a hole! :o)

My best, Lynn

baby care said...

I truly appreciate this post and have been looking all over for this!. You have made my day! Thx again.

KeL said...

This is awesome! I was kinda paranoid that my sock would catch on fire in the microwave, but it worked out great! Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...