Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

Cough, Cough...Sniffle, Sniffle


New here? Start here...

Did You Know...
...that honey as long as it's not left opened, has no expiration date? There are reports that say archaeologists found 2000 year old jars of honey that still tasted exquisite! - benefits-of-honey.com
So around these parts there has been a lot of the sniffles and achoos going around. It all started with my daughter coming home with strep throat over a month ago from school and myself and my son coming down with a cough of some wicked bad sort. I nearly lost my voice it was so bad.

But now 2 out of 3 of us are off our meds and supposed to be on the mend (or completely mended by now) but to no avail. There is still this tickle in our throats and the nightly symphony begins around 8 o'clock around here.

Something has gotta give. I have been drinking green tea until the cows come home, which is helping, but I need to do more and be more proactive about eliminating these cold-like symptoms. Then I remembered our good pal honey. And then I was upset because why didn't I think of this before? Our honey therapy has worked for us in the past greatly and I hope it will do the same today.

Researching interesting honey facts on the Did You Know website above I found out some really great facts about honey. Like for instance I didn't know that honey is fat free, cholesterol free, and when digested at night before bedtime it can burn fat while you sleep. Heyo! That sounds like liquid gold to me.

Every weekend we have this really great outdoor farmers market in town that we try to frequent at least 3 times a month and last time we were there we found this grandfather/grand daughter combo selling some super delicious all natural honey. And not just any honey, but it was seasonal honey. They had them all labeled "Summer" "Winter" "Fall" "Spring" and each one had its own distinct flavor because they said the bees produce different flavors according to the season - I think it's due to the flowers in bloom - whatever the case, we bought a Winter and let me tell you it is goo-oo-ood. Here he is.

He's shy sometimes.


But he came out just for you.

See his cute little Winter badge of honor?


Tonight this will now become part of our routine until the hacking stops. Honey coats the throat and helps relax it and also helps loosen up the mucus from your innards. So 1/2 a tsp. for kids age 1-6, and 2 tsp. for everyone over 6.

ALERT!!!!!! DON'T GIVE IT TO CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 1!!! AND CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN TO MAKE SURE HONEY WON'T CAUSE A DRUG INTERACTION.

I now see a good nights rest ahead for us all. Yippee!

What do you use to quiet those coughs during this season? Any other honey believers out there? Oh and for any of you honey novices out there, check out the Benefits of Honey website and take their cute How Much Do You Know About Honey quiz here. And want to read my vintage first post on honey with other interesting facts in it? Click here.


My best,
Song of the Week: More from the Sing Off as promised this month, this week we have the all girl group Delilah singing "Grenade" by Bruno Mars. Classicly beautiful. Well done girls.

2 comments:

ChocolateOrchid said...

Lynn, thanks for sharing this. Seasonal honey? I love it! I must find this.

I haven't been consistent with my honey intake but will have to do so. I'm so over not being totally over colds & crap. I really thought it was just me but I've talked to a few people having this same issue.

One of my cousin's actually mentioned to me that honey with cinnamon helps, too.

Lynn said...

Chocolate Orchid - that's funny about your cousin because my mom swears by honey and cinnamon as a powerhouse combo too! Yeah start that honey intake and let me know how it turns out for you.

My best, Lynn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...