Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Eyes Need It


New here? Start here...



I am one Dr.'s visit away from this being my prescription...somethings gotta be done.


I have had glasses for what feels like all my life. I did take a little detour into contacts lenses back in my early 20's but that lasted for only about a year before I ended up in the ER with corneal abrasions. Yes that does hurt as bad as it sounds. And because of my lack of drive to take the contacts out one night after a hard day of working with masons on a volunteer construction project - by the end of that ER visit I was gently scolded by the Dr. not to wear them again for at least a year. I needed to be back in glasses to let my cornea heal thyself.

And they have. 5 years later and I am thinking about contacts again. I'm nervous though that my daughter won't love me anymore guys. Here's why. Whenever she sees me take off my glasses for even a moment to wipe them off she tilts her head to the side and gives me a scowl and says "You don't look like my mommy....you don't look like anybody's mommy..." Are you kidding me? Is she not laying it on Lifetime Movie thick? I just realize though that my kids have never gotten to know me without glasses on. So to them it's just another extension of mommy. My son is down with it though, he tells me I look pretty without my glasses. (We know who won't be marrying a librarian anytime soon!)

Now since yesterdays post on Glaucoma was added to this here blog, I can't stop thinking about my eyes and then I figured that you guys would want to know some ways how to strengthen your eyes - preferably without laser beams and knives right? So here are just a few easy natural ways to strengthen our eyesight and vision in the comfort of our own homes, or plane, train and automobile.

1) Blink. Yep, just simply blinking during the day helps keep the eyes fresh and focused. Blink every 3-4 seconds for 2 minutes. It's also a good thing to do during conversations to make the other party not feel threatened and you will appear relaxed and friendly.

2) Palming. Take an eye break. This is great if you are a computer nerd like myself. Palming helps relieve any stress around the eyes and relaxes them.
  • Get in a comfortable position leaning forward on a desk or with your elbows resting on your knees or thighs.
  • Put your 2 hands over your eyes in a cupping manner (like parenthesis) with your fingers on your forehead and the heel of your hand will rest on your cheekbone.
  • Do this for a few minutes and it should help to decloud and rest your eyes for a bit.
3) Figure eight. This helps with flexibility. Basically imagine an upright figure eight in front of you and "trace" it by just using your eyeballs. Go in one direction for a few minutes and then switch going the other direction. It feels super weird at first but then you get the hang of it. You might end up doing a little Stevie Wonder swirl with your neck, but fight the urge - just the eyes, just the eyes.

These are just a few ways to strengthen your eyes naturally. If your eyesight is terrible like myself, then this will take some daily use over a good period of time before you may start seeing results. So hopefully this helps in the building up of our corneas.


My best,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...