Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Shrooms - Who Knew?

New here? Start here...

Did You Know...
...the vitamin content of mushrooms is actually similar to the vitamin content found in meat? - forestmushrooms.com


I certainly was not one in the whole know when it came to the shrooms in my life. I have heard things here and there about how beneficial mushrooms can be for our bodies. I once heard about a man that found out he had cancer and he ate nothing but rotten mushrooms for a really long time (a year perhaps?) and the Docs looked at him again and said all the cancer was gone. Maybe it was the fungus amongus that ate it all up? Hmm...


For real though, mushrooms are truly a superfood that should have a nice snuggly spot in our diets. Here are some of the benefits of having a healthy intake of some mushrooms.

According to the above mentioned D.Y.K. site Forest Mushrooms, Inc. says that mushrooms are:
* Low in calories and have no cholesterol. This shouldn't mean that you throw them in a pan filled with oils and butters because that would defeat the purpose and we want your veins to flow nicely.
* Contain the essential mineral Selenium which helps produce antioxidants to neutralize "free radicals" which can cause cell damage. This mineral is also credited for reducing the risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease, rheumatoid arthritis and asthma. Whew! Not bad for a days work.
* Potassium - good for the old heart ticker.
* Copper - delivers oxygen to the body.
* 3 B-complex vitamins - riboflavin, healthy skin and vision - niacin, digestive and nervous systems - pantothenic acid, nervous system and hormone production.

So we get it right? These sometimes ugly little fungus are actually great for our bodies! And this summer I learned that firsthand. Listen to my story...

Now I don't know if this happens all the time to me or just lately, but it seems that whenever I get overwhelmed or stressed due to a packed schedule I seem to get strep throat. I got it for the first time in my life this year and since then I am paranoid every time I feel a tickle in my throat.

So recently in June we were getting ready to go away on vacation and I was packing, cleaning, running to the store - you know, the whole gambit - and then on top of that my mom was needing to go to the eye doctor because her eyesight is going (that's a whole nother post that I'll tell you about later) so I lost a day of vacation prep to go about an hour out of town for the appointment. So let's recap. Had vacation we were leaving for in another 2 days, still had laundry to do, had to go on a road trip with my parents and my two toddlers. Nice. You see where my stress is starting to build now?

Okay so the morning that I am due to pick my parents up, I wake up with a little ahem and a tickle in my throat. I walk over to the mirror and check my little throat. My sore little throat. The same sore throat with white spots lining either side. Uh-oh. Why for the sweet love of cherry blossoms would this be happening right now!?! I was mad and disturbed and in pain all in the same morning. Nonetheless, I popped a multi-vitamin and got the parents and made our way out of town. On a pill and a prayer basically.

By the time the appointment was over (3 hours later) I was looking for some serious relief. As we drove out of town there was an oasis on the horizon: A HEALTH FOOD SUPERSTORE!! My kind of people! So we pulled over and I ran in and asked a young man named Dylan what should I use for strep throat - self diagnosed nonetheless. After consulting some of the mega dictionary sized holistic healing naturalist books, he suggested the "Great Shroom" of course, in pill form. Allow me to introduce you. Here it is in person...

Source Naturals Mushroom Immune Defense
16-Mushroom Complex
30 Tablets

Sadly, I don't remember how much I paid for this little bottle of goodness. I woke up that morning with major pain, discomfort, and all around yuckiness. But I kid you not, I took my first dose and felt a little better. Then I took my second dose and felt even better still. By the second day of taking these wonder pills I felt like my old self. I took it for 4 days total just to be on the safe side. I felt fine, no one else got sick around me, I never ended up bed ridden and was able to still gently get through my days. I drank tons of water along the way as well. The while spots were gone after the 1st dose, the swelling was down by the 2nd day and I now swear by this stuff. I want to shout about it from the mountaintops to all my friends and loved ones.

So try it, love it, stock pile it for that inevitable global strep throat outbreak. Or just take it as an awesome supplement. You will be able to see through walls eventually I'm pretty sure.

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it.


My best,

P.S. This wasn't a paid post. I bought it with my own cheddah and now want to share my knowledge of this product with you. Enjoy!

2 comments:

NatureGirl said...

I LOVE mushrooms. I could pretty much eat them for every meal. I do not know what that says about me...but glad to know they are good for me!

Lynn said...

I love mushrooms too now! I never thought about them as a superfood before though, but now I'm sold.

My best, Lynn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...