Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My Next 27-30 Days


New here? Start here...

I was going to put a Did You Know bit of information here regarding how long it takes to form a habit, but it seems that the jury is still out to lunch on this one. There are so many numbers floating out there on the correct number of days it actually takes for a new habit to take hold in your life. Anywhere from 21-66 days are what I keep coming across. What a huge discrepancy right? Some people say it depends on the person, so who knows?

All I do know is that I am currently on that journey to finding out exactly how many days it will take this here lady to conform her ways to a better and more proficient way of life. I absolutely need to do this right now because school is actually right around the corner for us down here in Florida. School starts August 22 and I need to be in tip top shape to endure this coming onslaught of academia. This will be the first year that both of my babies will be away from me for a portion of the day. My daughter starts Pre-K and my son starts 1st grade. I am mentally trying to prepare myself for their 1st days of school and hopefully I can avoid the same Great Meltdown of 2009....and the semi-Great Meltdown of 2010...

But I am nothing if not a realist, so I am also preparing my 1st day waterproof makeup look as well! ;o) I know tears of an epic proportion will be shed. Also I am thinking about what my 1st day of school outfit should be. Should I sport a dress or khakis and nice shirt? Who do I want to be this year? Any of you moms out there with kids that aren't in school yet, I give you this warning. After you get out of High School you would think that all the labeling goes by way of the dinosaur right? But alas, enter the kiddies starting school and the weird school label system starts all over again. You've got the Jock parents, the Slacker parents, the Rebel parents....yada, yada, yada. Honestly, I believe that my title was "The Black Mom" because I live in a teeny tiny town with like a 0.8% ethnic population so I was easy to spot all year. How my parents found this town I will never know. Haha!

The next (now 26) couple of days will be me whipping the whole family into a nice routine that will carry on right into the school year. Like I said, alot of places on the "Interweb" said that it takes around 27 days to make a routine stick. I started this routine since Friday of last week, and I failed only 1 day so far. But I am in this to win this dawg, so I am back on track and looking for the win!

Here is an inside peek at the things I am implementing in the whole family and if you have a family that will be the subject of a school schedule sometime in the near future you might want to brush up on some of these things as well.
  • Since my son has to be at school at the unjust hour of 7:45 a.m. he must rise by 6:45 in order to get up, eat breakfast, brush his teeth and get out the door by 7:20. Ouch right? I suffer too...
  • The AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) suggests that kids of school age between the ages of 3-12 need anywhere from 10-13 hours of sleep (hours vary by age so click on the link for "Children and Sleep" to be taken to an external pop-up guide to find which hours apply to your child)
  • A well balanced breakfast each morning. Anything containing protein and fiber is a surefire winner.
  • Laying out clothes the night before saves soooooo much time the next morning. And it cuts down the inevitable whiny "I don't know what to weaaaaaaarr!!!" that a dramatic toddler might yell in your direction at the top of her lungs. Ahem...
  • Stick. To. The. Routine. Kids absolutely thrive and yearn for a schedule. When they know what is expected of them next, then they feel more comfortable in their roles. Whether at home or at school.
Trust me, if you start your routine anywhere from 21-30 days before it absolutely must be in place then the chances of it not being such a chore for you will more likely be felt. (Did that make any sense?) You know what I mean...

Okay well that's what I'm working on when it comes to my daily routine and vamping up for the school year. Ooo....I'm also gearing up to host a kids clothing swap. Have you ever done such a thing? All we're doing is getting a whole bunch of my girlfriends with kids and just swapping all our old but still good clothes out so we aren't just throwing them out or consigning them while in the meantime the clothes could be put to good use in another household - but for free! Sweet right? You know mamas love a great deal! Can't get any better than this. So that's some excitement coming my way too.

How about you guys? Anyone have other tips on how to prepare mentally and physically for this coming school year? And has anyone done a clothing swap before? Anything I should definitely know to do - because this is my first time hosting one? Let's break comment bread together and let me know y'all!



My best,

1 comment:

Doing it My Weigh said...

Great post! I happened upon your blog today and I am glad I did! This post about forming habits is spot on. I dont have kids, but I do have a hectic schedule because I am in school and I work a full time job. I rarely take summer classes so I slack from May to July for the most part...getting back into the groove in late Aug is always hard for me. Over the last 9 weeks I have started to transform my life by losing 100 pounds, and I have formed the habit of exercising and cooking homemade meals, I shall be adding my school schedule to this transformation. Thanks for this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...