Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

It's Time to Let Go

New here? Start here...


I don't know about you guys but I am so guilty of this. I hold onto my cosmetics for what seems like eons. I have had a liquid-to-powder concealer that was recommended to me by my old friend Queen Latifah (via a commercial on TV) that is easily going on over a year and a half. It's an old remnant in my beauty staples that the frugal side of me is saying 'Don't throw this one out. Use it till it's gone. What are you made out of money?' But after researching for this post about how long to hold onto cosmetics before discarding, I am rethinking if that concealer will last the night. I feel a purse purge coming on.

So here are the rules for how long do cosmetics last and how long should you keep them before throwing them out. That beloved circa 1999 Cherry Bomb lipstick you bought from Mary Kay might just not make the cut sorry to tell ya.

This is taken from Dr. Zein Obagi's advice in this LA Times article...

Cream and gel cleansers: One year

Serums: Six months

Liquid foundation: Six months if it is in squeezable packaging, two months in any other form

Concealer: Three months

Loose powder: Two years

Pressed powder: 18 months

Liquid highlighter: Two months

Eye shadow: Two years if powder, two months if it's cream, unless it is in a squeezable or airtight container

Mascara: Three months (but discard sooner if it dries out)

Eyeliner: Up to three years for pencils that are sharpened regularly, two months for cream or liquid eyeliners

Blush: Two years for powder, two months for cream

Makeup sponges: Wash after each use and throw away after two weeks

Lipstick: One year

Lip gloss: 18 months

Lip liner: Up to three years if sharpened regularly

Nail polish: One year


My best,

1 comment:

Tashelle said...

I was in the shower the other day and just happened to pick up one of my body scrubs that I've had it seems forever. It actually had a best by date on it and trust me I was well beyond that. I had no idea about the makeup so thanks a lot for this post. But oh how I cringe at the thought of throwing something out that I'm not done with...YIKES!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...