Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Breastmilk Ice Cream?!


New here? Start here...


Yep. That's what I read earlier this week in a bit of weird news online. Apparently, a shop in London is selling this "premo creamo" to the masses. I bet not the masses though, because founder Matt O'Connor is selling this stuff at a whopping $23 a serving! You know how much I have to justify a $4.50 purchase of my beloved Breyers each time I go food shopping? So I don't know who is exactly coughing up the dough for this particular ice cream.

Now yes, we all know how wonderful and miraculous breastmilk can be, but really Matt? Really? You really expect me to walk up to your counter and ask for a scoop of "Sarah's Batch"?!

Everyone's gotta have a gimmick I guess. He's marketing it as..... "Baby Gaga". (Now if I did have a mouthful of milk in my mouth when I read this, believe you me that it would have gotten spit out all over my computer keys.) I'll admit that I did laugh at the name though because that's pretty clever.

The milk comes from 15 women donors that responded to an online classified ad. He mixes their milk with Madagascan vanilla pods and lemon zest and then churns it into the ice cream.

Did I ever tell you that I once tried to sell my breastmilk online? Yep. It was many moons ago, because I thought to myself "Wait a second, not all mothers could do this, but I'm sure they wish they could still give their kids breastmilk. I wonder if there is a market for this stuff." Turns out there was, but just in the form of weird and creepy old men with weird things on their minds. Eeek! I retracted my ad within the day, and never looked down that rabbit hole again. Until today. How come it's okay to sell breastmilk ice cream, but not okay to give it away to babies in need?

Or is it? Come on ladies, sound off on this HOT TOPIC. I know we all have an opinion on this one. What do you say - gross or genius?


My best,

P.S. This will close out this week of posts. Come back on Monday when we will be hosting a GREAT GIVEAWAY!!!!! (remember those?) So Monday it is then.

10 comments:

The Lucky Wife said...

You asked... so I'm sounding off... lol! I actually saw another blog post about this a few days ago and thought, how interesting. I have no desire whatsoever to taste of this but know of plenty of women who probably would... to each his/her own, huh?!

Visiting you from the SITS Cocktail Hour. What a beautiful blog you have! :)

Stacia @ Girlyfight said...

I just don't know about this. I suppose if the women are donating it by choice and people are eating it by choice, it's up to them. Would *I* try it? Probably not.

Thanks for stopping by my blog - returning some visits this afternoon from the #cocktail hour last night!

Priscilla - Wheelchair Mommy said...

this is beyond disturbing and the price??? ouch

#cocktail

ManWifeDog said...

I'm speechless! Yuck, yuck, yuck!! I think i just threw up in my mouth a little bit. I think this guy is exploiting the beauty of motherhood in every way imaginable. #smh

#Cocktail
SITS LOVE,

The Wife

NatureGirl said...

Hmmm....Well I do not know what to make of this. I do not think I want to try it, but I wish I would have thought about making it myself when the babes were little...might have been a nice little treat for them.

Cuznpete said...

Hell, there's no need to mix it in ice cream, let me get it right where it comes from!

ManWifeDog said...

Hey just wanted you to know that I included this in my weekly link love feature Fab Posts Friday...gross but interesting debate for sure..lol!

Lynn said...

Yes I agree that to each his own, her own, their own. But you know what? If the shop keeper was a down to earth honest to goodness doin' it for the betterment of man kind of person then I could look at it a little less sideways. But I found a video of the guy and he is just screaming "I'm looking for my moment, and this is such a gimmick!". That turns me off completely to the whole concept.

And Cuznpete?...ummm...noooo.....bad, bad, bad...

Mrs. K said...

Just the thought of it is making me gag. BTW, now they do have breast milk banks...almost like blood banks.

50+ Chit-Chat said...

I am definitely not feeling this one...nor should anyone. Let's leave breastmilk for the young uns!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...