Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I'm So Tired


New here? Start here...


Did You Know...
...The average human will spend 1/3 or their life sleeping, which equates to about 20 - 25 years over a 75 Year life span? - Hibermate.com





Lately, I've been a little off. Something has been missing. It's my sleep. It is gone when it matters most - at night. I stay up late, and when the morning rolls around I resent its arrival. I fight with every fiber of my being to stay in bed, but alas, all my responsibilities cannot be put off and I drudge off into the morning light.

My husband finally said "You know what you need? You need more calcium in your diet. Then you will be able to sleep better." Hearing the word diet made me think, because I figured that my insomnia was a result of my poor choices to stay up and peruse the web at all hours of the night. Who am I kidding? I'm sure that contributes as well.

So here I go tweaking my diet again. I went searching for more info. about what I can do in order to naturally get a good nights rest. Apparently, nothing is more important to maintain our beauty than sleep and proper diet. I can't keep up this pace with as little sleep as I'm getting, so here is what I dug up to aid me and you in naturally attaining a restful night and a rested morning.

About.com has an article on natural sleep aids that says:

  • Try to limit your caffeine intake. I'm sure that drinking large amounts during the day while the sun is up is not suggested as well. And it should be a given that you don't drink it just before bed. It can lead to the jitters and a restless, tossing, turning mess. With my busy life I need some caffeine to get me going in the morning. Whether it's a cup o' Joe or some Green Tea - I'm a feind for the fein!
  • Avoid sweets. It can mess with your blood sugar levels during the night, making them dip, or "crash", during your sleep cycle and disrupt your rest.
  • Eat magnesium-rich foods which are a natural sedative. This can be found in foods such as legumes, seeds, dark leafy green vegetables, wheat bran, almonds, cashews, blackstrap molasses, brewers' yeast, and whole grains.
I read once that the actress Doris Days' mom used to give her a nightly drink of warm milk and butter to help her sleep. Which they attribute to her curvaceous figure.

Q: What helps lull you to sleep?


My best,

4 comments:

NatureGirl said...

Lynn, Lynn, LYNN...wake up! Hey, I just wanted to tell you that the thought of warm milk and butter makes me gag. That's all...

Lynn said...

NatureGirl - Thanks for the wake up call. Oh i know, I'm so with you on the gagging over the butter and milk. What? No I didn't try it once out of curiosity and then almost immediately spit it out.....who told you that? ;o)

My best, Lynn

K. Rock said...

I totally understand this. I don't get enough sleep and I have actually been trying to figure out how to get by on LESS. There is just not enough time in the day to do everything I want/need to do. I am going to start taking a multivitamin and hope this helps a little.

Lynn said...

A multivitamin. Of course, I don't know why I stopped taking mine. I think it might have been because of it being in the horse pill category! Let me know how that turns out for you though.

My best, Lynn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...