Pages

Monday, February 22, 2010

Foodie February...

New Posts Mondays!
New here? Start here...



Did You Know...
the average Israeli eats 18-22 lbs. of hummus every year - which is about an extra 15,000 calories. - The Hummus Blog <--great blog on all things hummus!



Spicy Three Pepper Hummus Recipe


Which would make you think twice about eating some hummus right? A common serving of real fresh made hummus (not store bought) of about one cup can contain between 400-500 calories. Add some pita to that (how could you not) and you add another 270 calories. Weight gain here I come!

BUT! All things in moderation. We eat this food for snacks all the time at the house. Kids love it!

Although it does contain alot of calories doesn't mean you should shun it from your diet. The nutrition you get from it is in the chickpeas. They have alot of complex carbohydrates and protein. And although the following recipe doesn't contain it, tahini sauce, which is a usual addition, is rich in minerals, fatty Omega-3 acids, and amino acids. Also, a little bit goes a long way in making you feel full longer so you won't have to binge eat in the middle of the night like Liz Lemon!

Now I can't say all this and not give you a great recipe right? Right.

Extra Easy Hummus
from allrecipes.com by Donalyn
1 15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained, liquid reserved
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil

1. In a blender or food processor combine garbanzos, garlic, cumin, salt and olive oil. Blend on low speed , gradually adding reserved bean liquid, until desired consistency is achieved.
*Feel free to tweak it with peppers or what have you...
Calories: 35 Wow!
Total Fat: 3.6g
Cholesterol: 0mg

Enjoy! I've been thinking about hummus all month long...
*Oh and I love new hummus recipes, so send yours in and maybe I'll start a recipe roll for this specific thing!


My best,

Song of the Week: A cute little diddy by someone named Chris Baker I believe. "Home Cookin'" A YouTube find.

8 comments:

Execumama said...

Calories be damned! I LOVE hummus! I've been punking out of making my own, but I'm trying the recipe you gave (thanks!), and will let you know whether I poison my family or garner their praises!!

strokeofliving said...

Calories-schmalories. Hummus is the best. And speaking of complex carbs try using garlic pita chips for dipping. Woo hoo! But then there IS the breath issue afterwards. But then again who cares? I repeat woo hoo!

A recipe roll is a great idea Lynn.

Teresha@Marlie and Me said...

hummus is a staple around here. my hubs makes it fresh every weekend and we snack on it all week with pita bread, raw veggies, or just by the spoonful...very filling!

Teresha@Marlie and Me said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ChocolateOrchid said...

Lovin' this interesting tidbit of info but I'm still feelin' hummus is definitely a plus to me. It's so yummy!

Lynn said...

Yes it definitely is still a plus and it is pretty much a staple in my diet, but just not going crazy with the servings is what I have to remember these days.

My best, Lynn

Wifey said...

I've been on a hummus and carrots kick. Love it! Thanks for the reminder that I can't eat the whole bowl.

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey

Mammatalk said...

Huge hummus fan here! YUM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...