Pages

Monday, January 18, 2010

So I Cut It All Off...Opa!!!


New posts Mondays.
New here? Start here...

Check out my interview on Thursdays With Teresha over @ Marlie and Me


Did You Know...
...that Sarah Breedlove Walker a.k.a. Madam C.J. Walker was the first American female self-made millionaire featured in the Guinness Book of Records in 1910? What did she make? The first chemical hair relaxers for African American hair. *Look at the 8th Comment down for some clarification on this and some more interesting facts about this interesting woman.



If she was alive today, she would be rolling in the dough still no doubt! I saw the movie "Good Hair" a little while back and it was a pretty good movie (minus a part or two) and VERY educational about women of color and their hair care routines. I recommend it if you are curious about how others in your race or outside of your race fare when it comes to "What am I going to do with my hair today?"

Since I started this blog a year ago, I have been on this natural journey of all things good for me and my family. It's run the gamut from deodorants to bathroom cleansers and candles. While I have been updating this on a weekly basis about things that are good for our homes, bodies and environments, simultaneously behind the scenes I had been on a furious and intense hair care journey. I was obsessed with learning as much as I could about natural hair.

My natural hair.

I knew it was in there, it had just been awhile since we were acquainted with each other. A great many years of distance has come between us. I had done alot of damage to my hair over the years straightening it and up till recently it's been trying to hang in there for me. The last relaxer I got, burned a large portion of hair on my head and it really shocked my system. That's when the realization hit me. What was I doing on here when I was ignoring such a large part of my life that wasn't natural by any means? I knew it was going to be hard and I didn't even know how to begin the journey back to my natural hair, but reading many hair blogs coupled with many nights perusing YouTube was a great beginning.

And now a great end...
Yep. She did it....
She cut it all off....
She's starting fresh....

You know how you can lose touch with an old friend and then when you reconnect there is a bit of awkwardness in the beginning? Kind of trying to find your rhythm again? Well that's the way it is with me and my little fro today. I just chopped it off last night. I called over a couple of close friends and said "It's time!", made a nice pene and sausage dinner, made a hair playlist to motivate me, (India.Arie, Lauryn Hill, Erykah Badu, En Vogue, Fiona Apple-to name a few) and after dinner we all came into the office and I did it! My good friend "May" went to it with scissors and a comb with expert precision. I had no doubts (remember I had a year to build up my convictions) and by the end I was so happy with the results. I am a BIG smiler and by the end of the evening my cheeks were burning! :o)

So do you want to see it? Huh, huh? Well here it goes....

You can see my hair before this Big Chop here on my first video vlog


It is the day after, and I'm happy to announce that I do not have cutters remorse! I am soo happy with the outcome. My father is possibly going to spank me when he sees me (he hates short hair on me), but I'll just hide behind one of his cute grandchildren and say "It'll grow back daddy! But this time healthy and the way it should be!" Reverting back to calling him daddy always kills him so that's my strategy ;o)

No worries though mates! My mom is coming over in a bit to see it for herself because she thinks I was joking around on the phone with her last night.

It feels good to start fresh. I woke up this morning feeling eerily renewed and I made a hot breakfast for the hubs, had his lunch packed and the kids ready to take him to work - on time - and what felt effortlessly done. Maybe I'm the anti-Samson. I GET my strength after cutting off my hair...hmm...

I open the floor now for comments, questions, possibly even criticisms. Possibly I said! :oP Nah, I'm strong enough to take it now, so have at it.



My best,


Song of the Week: India.Arie "I Am Not My Hair" I will be playing a song from my playlist for probably the whole month and beyond. I'm on a kick y'all!

19 comments:

Earthly Reality said...

Good for you, I myself have been natural for nine years, it is a learning experience and there are a lot of blogs and forum to hold your hands along the way, and you look good so work it. Enjoy

CynthiaK said...

I LOVE that you cut your hair! It shows off your beautiful face and gorgeous smile!

I don't think my natural hair could ever look so funky.

Teresha@Marlie and Me said...

hooray for doing the big chop...your hair looks so good! It frames your pretty features very nicely :D

Amina said...

You look amaaazing!!I can also see your face more and your features!! BEautiful!
Congratulations as it is never an easy step!

Mammatalk said...

Darling look. Great smile!

I'm Rebekah said...

Looks great!

blueviolet said...

I have to say, I like it!!!!

A'Lelia said...

Love your site! Your new style looks great and rhanks for all the great info. Just wanted to let you know, though, that Madam C. J. Walker did not invent chemical hair relaxers or the hot comb, though I know thousands of people have come to believe that. As her biographer and great-great-granddaughter, I've been researching her life and business for decades. I've recently done interviews with Leila Noelliste at www.bglhonline.com (Dec 15 and Dec 16) and Fleurzty on her Texture Playground blog )Jan 1 and Jan 2) about Madam Walker where I explain both how this myth developed and what Madam Walker really did as a pioneer of the modern hair care industy. I also hope you and your readers will visit my website at www.madamcjwalker.com and check out the FAQs and the "Hair" section for more info.
A'Lelia Bundles

Wifey said...

Super cute! And you look so happy! Love it!

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey

Tourmaline2777 said...

Yay! Congrats to you and you look great. Hooray for natural hair.

Mom's Best Bets said...

Very intersting...any advice on a detangler for super curly hair (my daughter) she has fine supercurly hair..thanks!

christina said...

aww it looks great! also love how you have the perfect song of the week. i have a playlist for every single situation in the world, so i can relate. :P

Debbie said...

From a very young age, I tried to impress upon my daughter that one of the biggest gifts she could ever give herself would be the love of her God-given natural hair. Life is so much easier (and cheaper!) if we love what we have!
You look beautiful:)

Teresha@Marlie and Me said...

I'm so happy you linked up to my blog! ...and how neat that you got a comment from Madame Walker's great-great granddaughter!

Darcel said...

I think you look great! What did your mom say?
I'm struggling with my natural hair right now. Haven't had a relaxer in years, but it's so damaged.

strokeofliving said...

Good for you. I cut my hair off twice. The first time was when I turned 30 and again last year at 41. Relaxers make your hair smooth and manageable while damaging it.

It's a tough thing for women especially black women to chop it all off and start fresh A) because of Madison Ave. B) because of the men in our lives and C) because of our parents and grandparents.

There is a myth that black womens hair does not grow and the stigma that comes with short hair binds us to the cream crack, weaves, etc.

Nothing is more beautiful than natural HEALTHY hair of any length and texture. Good for you, just remember to keep it healthy. I'm approaching the 20 year mark of being off relaxers forever. And going natural. Welcome to club liberation! It's so carefree, in and out of the shower, no curling or flat irons and you can go in the rain without running for shelter. There's nothing like it. I'm so happy for you.

Sunshine said...

You know I just about fell out when I saw this!!! Congratulations. It looks GOOD.

**doing my happy dance now :D

Lynn said...

@ stroke of living - I completely agree and it's been such a crazy journey but I'm happy beyond belief.

My best, Lynn

Smell Goods Lady said...

Absolutely beautiful, Lynn! I did a big chop back when I was 19, been natural ever since, now 35. Be sure to take precious care of it. Natural hair needs lots of moisture. All the best in this new journey. Itiel

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...