Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2009

All Natural Soapmaker Extraordinaire!

New posts on Mondays!
New here? Start here...

Did You Know...
...that using germicidal soaps too often may produce antibiotic-resistant bacteria? Using regular soap will do just fine.






Which brings me to todays post. I had the pleasure of using soaps from Elizabeth Rose and I posted a review on their all natural soaps a few weeks ago. You will find it most enlightening I'm sure! Also enlightening? An interview with the maker of Elizabeth Rose soaps, Kathryn Quick HERSELF!!

Read on to learn more about the woman behind these wonderful all natural soaps....

How long have you been making your soaps?
I have been making soap under the name of Elizabeth Rose for more than 8 years.

Why do you make all natural soaps?
Most commercial soaps are not really soap, they are detergents and are very drying to the skin. I love the idea of taking something we all do on a daily basis, such as washing, and turn it into a very pleasant experience, not only for the skin but for the sense of smell as well. I also like the idea that my soaps do not contain animal fats, as do all commercially made soaps, as well as some handmade soaps. In the end, I love everything about making soaps and keeping it all natural, using only plant based essential oils for scent. Our skin is our largest organ and chemicals can and do enter our body through the skin and through the nose. Why rub animal fats, dyes, and chemicals into ourselves when there is a natural, non-toxic way of doing things?

What is the shelf life for most of your products?
I keep my products in a cold room and thereby extend the shelf life to two years. However, being that I don't use preservatives and being that people don't normally live in cold dehumidified rooms, I recommend that once my products are sold and go into various climates and conditions, they should be used within one year.

How long does it take you to make a bar of soap?
I make my soaps in relatively small batches of 108 bars, and the initial process takes approximately 3 hours. The soap mixture is poured into molds, and kept warm, so that the process of saponification can continue for several more days. Afterward, we demold, cut and store in a cold and dehumidified room for 6 weeks. This ensures that the soaps will cure properly and will be long lasting. At some point along the line, we hand stamp each rough cut bar into the pleasing, rounded edged shape you see on the shelves. I believe that we are one of the only if not the only handmade soap company that goes through the effort of hand stamping their soaps, taking the look and finish of handmade soaps to another level.

What was the first thing you made and what made you spin off into other products?
We began as a soap company and that will remain a constant. But people loved our scents so much, that we decided to extend the scents into perfumes, body oils, and bath salts.

How long have you been selling your products?
We have been selling online and have a presence in over 50 retail stores for about 6 years now.

Do you have specific shipping days or are you working your store 24/7 -so to speak?
We work Mon.-Fri. producing and shipping. I don't work on Sunday but will occasionally work alone on Saturday, creating a new scent or product idea.

Is there anything new you are currently working on?
I'm currently working on creating a delicious chocolate scented soap and hope to have it done by February. By next spring, I'd also like to have a line of soap and body products just for babies and toddlers.


I would like to thank Kathryn for taking time out to answer all my questions. She enlightened me on many things soap. I hope that you all go by her site and check it out and purchase some of her wonderful goodies. Your skin will say "Ooooo....yum". This is her contact info:

online site: www.elizabethrosesoaps.com
phone: 1*877*457*SOAP (7627)
fax: 1*845*457*9802
email: Sales@ElizabethRoseSoaps.com
the shop:
Elizabeth Rose Purity, Inc.
137 South Searsville Road
Montgomery, New York 12549



My best,
*2 weeks and counting....(said in a very high pitched Julia Childs-ish type voice)

Song of the Week: The Apples In Stereo "Energy". I wonder if there is a correlation to repetitive endings and subliminal messages...

5 comments:

strokeofliving said...

Actually the sodium seems high compared to the other ingredients however the taste does not indicate that. Levels of 250 and 350 mg of sodium is low compared to other packaged brands @ 600 to 1000 mg.

Thanks for visiting. Did you ever stop by to retrieve your blog award from several days back? I haven't heard from you since awarding it to you.

Turquoise Diaries said...

Stop to say 'hi' and very nice interview..

Kimberly said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I wanted to return the favor. I like the soap. I am going to have to visit her site to see what they are like.


Very interesting.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

Nice interview. It looks like they carry great products.

Smell Goods Lady said...

Simply divine..

You asked great questions for your readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...