Pages

Monday, November 23, 2009

Red Looks Good On You!

New here? Start here...


Did You Know...
...that green peppers are just unripe red peppers? You can leave them out in a cool, dry space and they should ripen in about 2 weeks.




This weeks post is a recipe. I have made this particular Yum many times and it is delicious every single time. I know you will love it. It's loaded with flavor and all natural goodness. It's great to make a huge batch and refrigerate it and snack on at your leisure. I've been sick all weekend and dreaming of eating healthy things. Seriously though, does anyone else have dreams of what they wish they could eat after they got better? Just me?

Okay onto the FOOD!

Roasted Red Pepper : Red Pepper Stock PhotoEggplant : Eggplants isolated on white, different viewpoints. Stock Photo
photos courtesy: 123rf.com

Roasted Eggplant Spread
Courtesy of The Barefoot Contessa on Foodnetwork.com

2 medium eggplants, peeled

1 red bell pepper, seeded

1 red onion, peeled (a regular onion will do also, just expect a much less potent oniony taste)

2 garlic cloves, minced

3 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1 1/2 tsp kosher salt

1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons lemon juice

2 tablespoons tahini (I never put this in, but let me know if you try it)

3 tablespoons chopped parsley, plus extra for garnish


Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Cut the eggplant, bell pepper, and onion into 1-inch cubes. Toss them in a large bowl with the garlic, olive oil, cayenne and salt and pepper. Spread them on a baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes, until the vegetables are lightly browned and soft, tossing once during cooking. Cool slightly.

Place the vegetables in a food processor (in my house, we call that a blender!) fitted with a steel blade, add the lemon juice and tahini, and pulse 3 or 4 times to blend. I leave mine pretty chunky. Taste for salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and add the chopped parsley. Garnish with extra parsley.

I don't have the particulars on the nutritional value but just know that it's really yummy and I'm pretty sure it's super healthy for us.

Enjoy, mangia! (Italian for eat...)


My best,

MUSIC: "Food Glorious Food" from the musical Oliver! Those poor boys - they just wanted something good to eat!

16 comments:

strokeofliving said...

First I'm sorry that you were ill. But I'm glad that you're better now.

Thank God, I don't really get sick much anymore - even during my cycle - which is indeed a miracle. Therefore I don't dream about what food I'll eat when I feel better. THANK YOU for this veggie recipe. My boyfriend will be stoked. We eat all types of peppers raw in salads quite often. This will make a nice addition to the repertoire.

Have a great Thanksgiving! I'm so glad that you're blogging.

blueviolet said...

That looks so good! I might just have to try it!

Mammatalk said...

I so love eggplant!

Gloria said...

Lynn, this is a defo on my list of things to do soon, and with Christmas upon the horizon . . go figure!!!

It's just after 4am and I'm up already .. so much to do as we depart Spain early tomorrow morning. Me, I'm taking a precious half hour to take a last, for now look at some of my favourite on-line blogger-friends!

Have a great Christmas friend and, (hopefully) be back again soon :-)xxx

Healthy Shift Worker said...

Hi Lynn - I luuuuurve roasted eggplant, capsicum, tomatoes ... anything really. Thanks for the delicious recipe - will definitely have to try it out!

Tammy Howard said...

Oh, this sounds soooo good!

K. Rock said...

I have been loooking for something to do with eggplant. I have failed miserably at all of my previous attempts. Is this anything like baba ganoush(sp)? That's an eggplant spread too.

Lynn said...

K Rock - I am not sure about the baba ganoush. Doesn't that have lemon in it? I'll have to look into that.

To all, when you puree it you can either leave it kind of chunky or really smooth. I prefer mine a bit on the chunkier side.

My best, Lynn

Dorkys Ramos said...

Yup, I learned that on my last press trip...along with everything else I ever wanted to know about chiles! Too bad my tongue can't handle any spice at all.

African American Mom said...

Never had egg plant anyway but fried....this should be interesting.

angelina la dawn said...

thanks so much for your nice comment on my bags!
and i love eggplant :)

Vent! said...

very interesting i'll definatly have to try i out!

Vickie said...

Really!? Green peppers will turn to red? My fridge must be bad. All my green peppers turn soft and bruising looking. No red. Bad Fridge! :)

I don't think I ever had egg plant. Some days we talk about getting healthy...will have to try this recipe thanks for sharing.

Have a happy Thanksgiving!!

Mama Kat said...

Yum!

And I did not know that green peppers were red peppers. Sounds like experiment time. ;)

Teresha@Marlie and Me said...

I hope you are feeling better. Thanks for the recipe (I LOVE eggplant!) and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Debbie said...

I didn't know that until just a few years ago!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...