Pages

Monday, October 5, 2009


New here? Start here.

Did You Know...
...that sugar is the only taste humans are born craving? And that lemons contain more sugar than strawberries?

cane sugar on the white background
photo courtesy of 123rf


A few weeks back we touched a wee bit on sugar and how it can have a dullifying effect on our skin which led to a little face cleanser action here. Well this week we must speak of such things again.

I received samples of some "sugar" from the people over at PureVia. I tried it. I liked it. So now I will tell you a little more about it. Visit their site for their back story. PureVia has a very indepth website and a great Frequently Asked ?'s set up.

Last year some time, during our family vacation we visited my husbands Aunt that lives in a nice little nook of the North where the sun shines on her many plants, posies, and flowers. She was giving us the grand tour of her outdoor tamed wilderness when she plucked something off a plant and said "Taste this." I grew up with that saying and have grown to trust virtually anyone that has eaten a portion of something first and THEN said to me "taste this." Needless to say, I ate it. It was really sweet and it had a slight licorice aftertaste. Not in a bad way though. I was intrigued. She said that the plant sells out quickly every time they come into her local plant shop. When you taste it you could see why. I asked her how does she use it and she uses it as a sweetener in a lot of things: baking, teas, cereal. She just grinds it up for different uses.

As I was researching sugar and all the whatnot I came across some controversy (ooo drama!) over the sugar companies and the stevia producing companies. It is quite extensive and in depth and it's already all spelled out in this really great article here on nutritionwonderland. It is a 3 Part Series of articles so steep some tea and pull up a chair...

I am trying to replace sugar in my diet. Not ALL sugar but just the quote-unqoute bad sugars. I want a more naturally sweetened diet. Some foods have natural sugars and others have refined sugars. Natural is the desired kind of course. Where can you find these alternatives? Here's a list that should be helpful:

AVOID!
White sugar
Dextrose
Corn syrup
Fructose
High fructose corn syrup
Sucrose

and instead try these and....

INDULGE! (wisely of course)
Pure maple syrup
Rapadura (dehydrated cane sugar juice)
Molasses
Raw unfiltered honey
Stevia
Applesauce

Even though there are natural sweeteners to replace refined sugars you still need to use them in moderation. Everything in balance as Shakespeare says (I think). I used my PureVia in some lemonade. It tasted wonderful. It was sweet and delicious and after I am done with my bag of sugar now I know what I will be replacing it with!


Have any of you ever tried this or any of it's counterparts?
Let me know what you use it for. Maybe I'll put up some recipes for a later post, eh?



My best,

Lynn



Music: Black Eyed Peas "I Gotta Feeling" performed on Oprah. They pulled off a spectacular flash mob of spontaneous dancers to surprise O. Love it. Play it.

12 comments:

Muthering Heights said...

Personally, I like to use Agave Nectar to sweeten may baked goods! :)

Lynn said...

I think I'm going to have to try that now...

Mellow Mama said...

Oh I LOOOVE Agave Nectar!! I have used applesauce in place of sugar, but I'm definitely going to have to try stevia. I'd love to grow a few stevia plants, but I'll have to research it a little better. I'm in the northern states so it may not work well in this zone.. ugh, I'm rambling again. I love this blog. You've got some great info. I'll be back :) Be well!!

Lynn said...

My husbands Aunt lives way up North and she doesn't have a problem growing her plant up nice. She only has trouble finding more plants because they sell out real quick!

My best, Lynn

Antique Mascara said...

What about Sugar in the Raw is that any good? I don't know much about it. P.S. that flash mob dance stuff looks really fun to do...

Debbie said...

I haven't tried it but I do like to try alternative sweeteners.

Mammatalk said...

I love, love, love molasses and pure maple syrup. Heaven!

deyoder said...

mmm...I love the way you think! It's honey and turbinado at my house! I'll have to look into PureVia though! Thanks for the tip!

Cairo Typ0 said...

Great advice. :) I use splenda instead of real sugar in almost everything we cook.

lady Lex said...

Wow, I love your site! I'm definitely bookmarking it. Thanks for all the research and inspiration to live healthier.

Yours Truly,
Lady Lex
ineedprettythings.com

T. Anne said...

My MIL just bought me a bottle of blue agave, can't wait to try it!

Gloria said...

Must try to get me some. Might be hard though 'cos I live in the mountains in Spain. Still, there's always mail order I suppose!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...