Pages

Monday, September 21, 2009

Eat To Your Health!

New here? Start here.




Did You Know...
...that children are 2 to 3 times more likely than an adult to get the flu and spread it to others?



The kids have been sick for a bit over a week so our house is the new Pfizer headquarters.




But not exactly in this pill-type form....

I hate (my own personal opinion) giving my kids lots of "drugs" when they are feeling under the weather. But I'm not one of those moms also who will make their kid eat tree bark no matter if they're fever has been over 105 for the past 4 hours. I know that medicine has its benefits and I use it when it's necessary. But lately, the kids have been coughing and sneezing and have been all around yucky. So instead of giving them the usual pediatricians go-to (Amoxocillin) I asked the Dr. if I could hold off filling the prescription for another week because I read a really great article one time, I think in Parents Magazine, about overdoing it with antibiotics and our children which is causing more SUPERgerms and making them more susceptible to colds and illness. The Dr. agreed and said "okay well I don't want to prescribe him prematurely. Yeah why don't you wait a few more days." But these days a cold sometimes is not a cold, and the flu is not just a plain ol flu *oink, oink anybody?* so I am keeping my eyes on them and feeling their foreheads about every 1/2 hour.

So instead of plying them full of medicine in the form of amoxocillin I have been putting some of the most freshest ingredients and grandmas best versions of home remedies that I can remember and recreate to the best of my abilities down their throats. I have them on a fresh fruit diet with nothing fancy - no sugar added. I would rather them get a variety of vitamins and nutrients in their rawest form. They are drinking orange juice, grapefruit juice, water, and warm tea every moment of the day that I hear "Mommy I'm thirsty!" We're talking Cream of Wheat, warmed milk with cinnamon sticks in it, peppermint tea, laboowee (it's a haitian word and a porridge that I grew up on and that is my best guess on how to spell it, it's wrong though). And of course the end all be all Chicken Noodle Soup out of a big ol pot.

If after a weeks time, they are not feeling better, than Amoxocillin here we come! But give mamas ideas a chance first I say...

What about everyone else? What are you doing this flu season to care for the kiddos and yourself? One of my friends got a flu shot which is a great idea I think. Anyone else? Let's talk it out amongst ourselves...


My best, Lynn



Music: Ben Lee "Catch My Disease". This is the song I hear in my head every time my kids come up to me and sneeze in my face. I am just waiting for the day I wake up all achy and sniffly (more so than usual!)


9 comments:

Mighty M said...

Have you found any great aging/night creams that are ECO friendly and low on chemicals that you love? Thanks for coming by my blog! ;-)

Banteringblonde said...

i'm not big on drugs either - I actually don't do the flu shot and haven't since my youngest was a newborn. I feel like the flu shot is a great option for people at risk but in general we are healthy.... knock on wood.

Juliet Grossman said...

I'm almost obsessive about handwashing and I do think that helps a lot. A certain amount of illness is somewhat inevitable when your kids are really young. I love your descriptions of the good wholesome healing foods like cream of wheat....mmm. I do think being healthy & well rested and well fed to begin with makes it easier to fight off illness and shake it off faster if you do happen to get sick.

Thanks so much for swinging by my blog on my Sits Day last week:-)

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

Eating real, whole foods goes a long way. I have a pot of chicken soup on the stove right now!

Stephanie Faris said...

If someone gets the swine flu, they prescribe somethingflu...can't remember what the something is. Ameriflu? I can't remember. Anyway, whatever it is, they say if you catch it in the first 24 hours and they start taking this flu stuff, it goes away within a few days. Otherwise, it can drag on for months. But regular flu...they just slap antibiotics on that? I agree...there has to be another way. We LIVE on antibiotics in this country now, it seems like.

Helene said...

Your last comment reminded me of a product I just received to review (and giveaway) called MyClyns. You can google it to find out more info. But essentially it's a spray that you can spray in your face immediately after being subjected to germs from someone else. Like if your son is sick and he sneezes in your face, you can spray your face immediately and it's supposed to cut down your chances significantly of becoming sick, as well.

Anyway, I think you're doing the right thing by waiting and just giving the children natural remedies. I've done the same thing before with ear infections. My kids were taking antibiotic after antibiotic and finally with the last one I gave them Motrin and put a little bit of warm olive oil in their ears every few hours and the infection actually went away SOONER than when I had used the antibiotic. So there's a lot to be said to letting an illness run its course...the body will kick in those natural immunities sooner than we think. Of course I wouldn't let my children suffer in pain but I think you know where I'm coming from since it sounds like we have similar views on this.

We've always gotten the flu shots every year since the kids were born and I do think that has helped us tremendously. We have been lucky to not have suffered from the flu at all, just colds and ear infections here and there. So we'll be getting the shots again this year. I avoid the nasal spray since the whole live virus thing scares me but the shot seems to work well for us.

Oh, one of the things we've taught our kids is to sneeze or cough in the arm of their sleeve to avoid getting germs on their hands. And I also have them wash their hands immediately upon coming home from school or the park or playdates. I carry around antibacterial gel in my diaper bag too so like if we're at the park and they want a snack, there is less chance of contaminating the food in their hands with germs that may have on their hands from the playground equipment.

Some might say I'm going a little overboard but these days, with the whole swine flu outbreak (and a noticeable increase in it since school has been back in session again), I'm taking NO chances!!!

Hope the kids feel better soon!!

Helene said...

Oh also wanted to say thank you so much for stopping by yesterday and making my SITS day so awesome!!!

Lynn said...

Mighty M - I am on the search for that and I will post my findings someday soon.

Helene - that med spray sounds very interesting. I wonder what is in it...hmm..

Update on the kids: the oldest is much better, just a cough here or there. the younger one of course now has caught the cold and is little ms. sneezy for the past week. Here we go again! :o)

deyoder said...

Seriously, antibiotics, the bane of my existence. With my first child, they were the cause of so many other issues ofter taking them. I caught on after about 2 years...and we avoid them like the plague! I'm so glad yours are feeling better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...