Pages

Monday, May 18, 2009

Uno, Dos, Detox!

New here? Start here.


Did You Know...
...that while detoxing, it is best to limit exercise while the body rejuvenates itself?

So here's my story.  Last week as many of you read, I was starting my detox journey.  Well the first day went fairly well. According to the Master Cleanse website, the first is nothing but fruits and veggies.  I ate all of that like a champ all day long.  I was full, no hankering for a slab of beef or anything (maybe because of my Whopper Jr. sendoff the night before!). 

Until night fell...

That's when peaceful, loving, feel-good Lynn was sent away and cranky, salt and processed food craving monster Lynn came out.  I seriously don't know what happened.  I kinda went off the deep end and all I remember was sitting down to watch my HGTV and then snippets of "Where are the Pringles?" "Why are you hiding salt from me?" "Just give me a dollar - one dollar for one tiny burger....pleeeeease?" "You don't love me anymore..." "WHERE ARE THE PRINGLES?!?"

I'm sure I looked like this to my poor hubs...



Needless to say, the night ended in tears and my hubs giving in and telling me where he hid the pudding, cheese sticks AND Pringles.  Poor guy, he ate in closed bedrooms with the window open just so that the smell wouldn't break my spirit. Great guy.  I should make him a steak. The weird thing is, that once he told me where everything was all desire to eat them went away.  I was tired as all get out though, so I actually went to bed (passed out) at the very respectable hour of 10:45.

So the first day (aside from the evening meltdown) was a success.  The second day was going to be nothing but fruit and veggie juice.  I borrowed my moms juicer (thanks mama) and went to town on everything.  I made about 4 1/2 cups of varying juices (grapefruit and strawberry, apple, celery and carrot) and then lined them all up in a pretty little row on the top shelf of the fridge so I would be set to go the following day.  

Enter said following day...

You never want to wake up to the words "So you want the bad news or the bad news?"  Turns out, my kids as of late are early risers and I can't keep up with them.  My husband wakes up with them and lets me sleep a bit longer.  That morning, he woke up to find them elbow and face deep in my juices and empty cups.  They had taste tested and disapproved of the juice (maybe they thought the celery juice had gone rogue?) anyway, they threw every last ounce of my blood, sweat and tears down the sinkerator.  What did I do after that?  After listening to the story, visiting the scene of the crime and realizing there was no salvaging anything, I walked over to the cupboard, grabbed a bag of chips and some fig newtons, poured a glass of milk, and went right back into my room for about a 1/2 hour of solitude.  Then I figured "There's always next week right? Right!"

So here I sit today, once again fully committed and invigorated.  I skipped the ease-in because I just want to get into the cleanse and the actual grit of it and get it done with.  I have a sinus infection and I'm hoping that the cayenne pepper concoction will help do the trick.  

Have any of you done this before?  (Execumama I have followed your journey so I know you have. Congrats!)  Anybody else?  I would love to hear about your experiences or advice on this matter.  How did you psych yourself up and stay focused on the end goal?  I think my cheer song will be that Rocky "Eye of the Tiger" one...yeah that always gets me going.  

Until next week all, stay healthy.

My best,


Lynn

Music: Rusted Root "Send Me on My Way".  Click around for one with good quality. There is one on here with the actual lyrics.  Who knew he was using real words?  I tell you this.  My middle school version didn't have half of these words in it! :o) I felt all cool, thinking I was singing in some ancient Indian dialect...sad really....don't know why I just shared all that. Photo: 123rf


27 comments:

Mammatalk said...

You are so adorable! I understand the whole "gimme the Pringles" thing!! Who doesn't?

I have never completely detoxed. However, if you look at my diet, I am one of those healthy, organic types....(for the most part) I started ten years ago. Set my goals small. At first, I just added more water to my diet....And, slowly, very slowly went from there. I can't imagine doing it all at once. I would have clawed someone's eyeballs out!! Can't wait to hear your progess, though. Your stories are very entertaining!

Lynn said...

I'm realizing that my updates while on this detox might get frightening and I'll try and keep it all Kosher. (Is that offensive to Jewish people? Could any of my Jewish reader let me know?) Right now though, I can easily report that the cayenne is REALLY emptying out my sinuses. That's some good stuff there buddy...

My best, Lynn

Execumama said...

No lie, Lynn - I yelled "Ooooh NOoooo!" when I read the party where your children threw out your juices?! Yo, why would I have threatened to throw out some of their favorite stuff if they ever in their lives even considered throwing out something that didn't have their name on it?! You are amazing, b/c I would've flipped out. Whew, chile!

Anyway, I have a homegirl who did the ease-in, the 10 days, and the ease-out completely. In my eyes, she's God's little sister because that is miraculous (and also done by many people ALL the time). The Master Cleanse site has tons of comments about people who've done it successfully, so keep reading those, they helped.

How'd today go? Are you doing the tea tonight and the saltwater flush in the morning?

Wifey said...

Husband and I started a fruit and veggie cleanse today. We're doing 7 days and ... well ... I'll touch base with you later in the week to let you know how it's going.

You can do it!

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey

Lynn said...

I did not get the tea however guess where my husband is headed on the next thing smokin? Do you think they sell that Smooth Move @ Wal-Mart? Thanks for the reminder Execu...

Wifey that is great that you get to go through it with your husband. Here, we have to take turns due to the lack of 2 bathrooms. Both of us on ths diet and one bathroom? Things horror movies are made of. The title would be "Death by Detox"!

My best, Lynn

Lynn said...

do you think i shouldbe on this cleanse while i have this wicked sinus infection? )too tired and sick to hit backspace and correct grammatical errors)

my best, Lynn

Cindy DG said...

I have only done detox through pills which definately gave me a lighter and cleaner feeling. I did the ultimate cleanse system; I bought at whole foods.
Dropping in to say hi. Found your site from the SITS site!
Cindy
http://vegetarianmamma.blogspot.com

AB HOME INTERIORS said...

I always click on the person above me in roll call. Wanted to stop by and give some SITS love. Happy day

Ashley said...

Good for you! I tried a juice detox diet once or twice in the past. It worked but I put it all right back on. Good for a pre-beach diet though. Anyway, yours sounds good... but still would require more will power than I could probably put in. Haha! Good luck to you!!

Stopping by from SITS!

Lizz said...

Just stopping by to check on your detoxing.

Taryn said...

You are too cute, Darling! Glad I came over to check your blog out!
Stopping by from SITS to wish a fellow SITSta a WONDERFUL MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND!!!

Love,
Taryn

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

The closest to a cleanse I've ever done is the raw diet for 2 months. That was really hard but worth it! Typically with my clients I see them go whole hog into these cleanses, fail, and go back to their less-than-ideal normal diets. I work with them to instead make small changes to the diet over time. A life-long mild detox program, if you will :-) Good luck! And thanks for visiting my blog!

~bean said...

Hi! I'm stopping by from SITS. Your brave to embark on this journey! I've done many different cleanses and detoxes...Its always hard at first and then it get so much better! You go girl!

The Falconer's Wife said...

Hi - visiting from SITS girls at #cocktail hour. Good luck with your detox!

Jenna said...

checking in from the sitsgirls cocktail chat, glad to meet you!

tiffanyrom {SITS} said...

I did a detox last May, and it was awesome.

Gave me tons of energy, I lost some weight- ready to do one again!

YUMMommy said...

Visiting from SITS Girls Cocktail Hour. I've never tried a detox before but I've heard both great stories and horror stories from others who have. Maybe, I'll work up the courage one day to try one for myself.

Mamarazzi said...

not sure i could do it...actually i AM sure o could never do it. i have zero self control.

anyfatty...i can appreciate that you did that AND respect and admire that you are still alive.

i am pretty sure my head would explode...or someone would be dead by the end of it.

TryItMom said...

HI SITSta :) I am so interested in doing one of these. I'm nursing my youngest now, so I will have to wait. I'll be reading to see how it works out for you!

Life via Lens said...

Visiting from the SITS cocktail hour - very interested in reading more about you thru this blog - wonderful site! :)

TRR said...

Cleansing is hard, I did a one day cleanse and by the end of the day my boyfriend and I were spent from the drinking of prune and apple juice and water. It wasn't pretty. We pigged out for dinner which I'm sure wasn't what the inventors of the cleanse had in mind... Oh well..

I would have been so mad at the kids for drinking all the juices I made. You should have supervised them making you another whole batch! :-)

Ginny Marie said...

Oh, no! I can't believe your juice went down the drain! I just talked to a friend who is starting to do more of this, and I'm curious how it will turn out for her. Good luck!

More Than A Mom said...

I have the same trouble. I do so well and then it's "get me some real food now!". No wonder I can't budge the scale to lower numbers!!

Visiting from the SITS Cocktail Hour.
http://morethana-mom.blogspot.com

Jill said...

Wow... what a story. Stopping by from SITS #cocktail chat.

Caren with a "C" said...

The worst is when you are trying to eat healthy and then the FOOD Network puts on Diners, Dives and Drive-ins. THat gets me all the time and of course it is way past bedtime!
Visiting from SITS cocktail ... after party!

Stacia @ Girlyfight said...

I've never specifically done a cleanse but I have done periods of being very low-carb. I usually make it to day three before I get cranky and my husband starts coming up with excuses to work late or go to the gym before coming home. Best of luck!

Patrice said...

I have been hearing so much about these cleanses lately, I'm almost tempted to try it. ALMOST. ha! I'll have to read your more recent posts to see how you're doing!
I am catching up (finally) from last week's cocktail hour! Great blog :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...