Pages

Monday, May 11, 2009

Food For Thought...

New here? Start Here.

Did You Know...                         
...that in the past tarragon was used to prevent scurvy?

  Lately, I've been thinking alot about what I put into my body and how it affects my life. Physically I haven't been myself lately and I'm pretty sure it's due to the horrible allergic reactions I've been having to this planet these last few months. (I mean, really? Who sneezes 8 times in a row? Really.) So I finally sat back and said to myself "Self, what can you do to change your lot in life?" Thankfully, no one answered back, but I did start to think of different ways to cleanse and clarify my whole being.  I am going to be starting a detox program tomorrow, so I am preparing my family for it now.  ("Kiddies, hubby, mommy might be a veeeery scary woman for a few days. Don't try and be a hero. Hiding from me is okay.") So in honor of my going off into the wildness to find myself, I am leaving you ladies and gentlemen a recipe that is good for you, easy as all get out to make and wonderfully delicious.  Enjoy!

Pan-Fried Chicken with Tarragon (ah ha! Now my D.Y.K makes sense to you all right?)

Dressing:
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt to taste

Chicken:
1 lb. chicken breast tenders (12 to 16 tenders)
2 Tbsp poultry seasoning (I use Goya Adobo - it's got everything in it)
1 Tbsp dried tarragon, crumbled
1 Tbsp dried garlic
1-2 pinches salt (taste it and add more if you like that sort of thing)
8 c (5 oz) loosely packed baby salad greens (or whatever lettuce greens are in the kitchen)

1. In a bowl, whisk all of the dressing ingredients and set aside so they can mingle and get to know each other better.
2. Place the chicken between two sheets of plastic wrap.  With kitchen mallet (or bottom of a heavy saucepan) pound tenders a few times to a thin and measly 1/4 inch thickness.  This thinness will make it cook in a whole lotta less time.  
3. In a medium bowl, mix poultry seasoning, tarragon, garlic, and salt.  Coat chicken with mixture.
4. Coat large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place on high.  When pan is hot, add 4 to 5 chicken tenders and cook on medium-high until golden and firm, 1 to 2  minutes per side. Wipe down pan with paper towel to remove any burned crumbs and repeat process until all tenders are cooked.  
5. Add greens to large bowl and toss with dressing.
6. To serve, place 2 cups of greens on dinner plate and top with 3 or 4 chicken tenders.  

Serves 4.  Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 190 calories, 7.5 g fat (1 g saturated), 147 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein 

Did you catch that this is under 200 calories?  I love that. If you try this and you like it, let me know.  If you didn't like it, let me know why not.  This recipe is from Women's Health magazine the July/August 2007 issue.  I will keep you updated about my detox program if you want. Have a great week.

Bon Appetit!


My best, Lynn

Music: Feist "1234".  I love choreographed dance almost as much as sports clip shows during playoff season. This song is just fun. It's how I wake up the kids in the morning after breakfast. If you don't have kids, you can skip the Sesame Street version of it - but you know you want to hear it too! ;o)
Photo from fotosearch.

14 comments:

Execumama said...

SOOO excited for you, Lynn! This journey is going to yield more results than you'd ever imagine. Believe me, if you can hold on, there is so much on the other side of it for you. I didn't last the full 10 days, but truly feel that I got what I set out to obtain (and then some) in the process. I'm viewing many things very differently now, and I am so thankful for those moments of mental and physical clarity.

BTW: the digustoid factor of saltwater flush is like +209, but it's completely worth it!!

*Raising my imaginary lemons/maple syrup/cayenne pepper/water cocktail to you* - CHEERS!

Lynn said...

Execumama - I'm very excited and just did the last of my shopping for it tonight. Did I have a farewell Whopper Jr. meal with fries and a Pepsi before I start my journey? Maaaaaybe! :o) Thanks for the encouragement.

Frenzymom said...

Hope your detox goes well. I have had allergies like crazy this year too!! My mom found some xylitol in a product called xyclear and it has been helping me so much. I don't like taking OTC meds or any other meds with nursing the baby so thats helped me a lot.

Leslie said...

LOL..my kids and husband are scared of me when I am P.M.S'ing!!!

Robbie said...

Hi, I'm new to your site. Glad I found you. Wonderful info. Thanks!

http://www.papermoonies.blogspot.com said...

Hi Lynn
lovely sounds lovely
I will have to take some time and make this.
Saw you on sits.
Love your blog, I will now follow.
here is my blog, I am hosting an arty giveaway to end this weekend.
http://www.papermoonies.blogspot.com

Myriam said...

Hi Lynn, I'm glad I found your site. I'm also into anything good for your body. I'll follow you....Have a great week-end..

Krissy said...

Ooh! The chicken dish sounds really good!

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

I so need to try a cleanse but I'm scared of the scary person that might emerge. I, too, feel like I'm not putting the best stuff in my body (as evidenced by my allergies and my blah feelings) and need to get clean.

I'd love to hear how your detox goes...

Just stopping by from SITS.

BookLady said...

Hi, visiting from SITS, recipe sounds yummy! My son went through a faze where he only wanted chicken fingers! :)

Lynn said...

Ohhh...wait till tomorrow. I am going to give you all an update on what's happened with the "detox". It's sad but still optimistic.

My best, Lynn

*Nice to see new faces and visitors! Be sure to follow, I try and update every monday.

Paula said...

This sounds great :) I recently went gluten free and have been looking for other food options that don't involve my much missed bread.

Robbie S.Redmon, LPC said...

Hi lynn, stopping by again from SITS. I really enjoy it here.

Future Mama said...

Nice! Lord knows my family needs to eat healthier! :) Great blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...