Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Few Household Tips...


Did You Know...
...In the US, 1 in 3 people suffer from allergies, asthma, sinusitis or bronchitis? 
-US National Center for Health Statistics


We all want to be healthy right?  That goes without saying.  I've been on this journey for a few months now and I've come to the realization that there is more to us then just what we put on our skin.  There are many factors that can alter our well-being and we don't even think about it much. Here is one area of body care and wellness that we can be aware of now though: household cleaners.  

Yep.  I didn't know that some of these cleaning products have some bad mamma jamma stuff in their ingredients.  So guess what I did?  You got it. I put on my miners cap (those ones with the little dim flickering  lights on the front) and went searching through the terrain for better alternatives to the "norm".  I found a lot of natural - truly - remedies for many situations we wives, mothers, daughters, husbands, sons, fathers come across in our daily chorey lives.  You
 need to dust? Found a natural furniture polish.  Clean windows?  Natural window cleaner. Need to extract a tooth while stuck on a deserted island? I found the best natural alcohol to sedate you! Ha! But you get what I'm puttin' down right?  

What we inhale in the air is just as important to our health as what we slather across our arms or legs.  I don't want to put any more allergens into my and my families system any more than we come across in our daily outings.  Our homes should be safe havens right?

Say it with me ladies: RIGHT!

Without further ado, I present to you the first in what I hope to be a very chock full o' stuff series of:  NATURAL HOUSEHOLD CLEANING SOLUTIONS....

FURNITURE POLISH: Chemicals in conventional furniture polishes can cause irritability and depression due to them being highly neurotoxic (poisonous to the nervous system).  So instead try this alternative...  
  • 1/4 c white distilled vinegar (you can use apple cider vinegar but some materials may stain)
  • A few drops of olive oil
  • Mix in a bowl and apply to wood.
*If you don't like the vinegar smell too much then sub out the vinegar for lemon juice.

BATHROOM CLEANER: This solution can be used on almost all parts of the bathroom.  Make sure not to overuse the vinegar b/c it can eat away the tile grout.  
  • 1 part water
  • 1 part vinegar
  • Mix in a spray bottle and spray onto tub. Wipe off with a sponge or rag.
TOILET BOWL CLEANER: A mixture of 2 parts Borax and 1 part lemon juice will also work. Use what you got...
  • 1/4 c baking soda
  • 1 c vinegar
  • Mix together in a bowl, pour into the bowl basin, let set for a few minutes; scrub with brush and flush.  Pretty! Pretty!
So here are just a few household cleanser alternatives we all can use and hopefully these will help clear up a few more sniffles and brighten our days a bit...Enjoy!

My best, Lynn


Music:  Alicia Keys "Superwoman".  It's a great day to be a woman eh?  We are capable of endless things.  This song is how I like to start my days lately...
Picture of woman from dreamstime. Lemons from freedigitalphotos.net

3 comments:

Michele said...

Great tips!

Antique Mascara said...

Thanks for this! I was just cleaning the tub the other day and getting sick because of the chemicals and wondering what else I could use. I'll try it!

MBB Founder and Editor Denene Millner said...

Wow--these are GREAT tips... I'd never heard of any of these before. Nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...