Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Tears of Joy!

New reviews every Monday...


Did You Know...
...the FDA is not legally obligated to regulate cosmetics unless they contain color additives?


Huzzah! The day is finally here that I can tell you about my first real treasure of a purchase AND offer this gift to you, my readers, for the low, low, cost of ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! 

I know it's been a long, hard road we have traveled together these last few weeks and you have seen the good and the bad (mostly bad) of what this "beauty" industry has to offer. I am here today to tell you that I feel those days of frustration are behind us now and we have truly turned a page.  

After last weeks disdain I showed for Wal-Mart here, I went to the local health food store in our town and a very lovely woman from behind the counter asked me "Is there anything I can help you with?" Already I was sold - actual human contact! Contrast to Wal-Mart,  where if you look @ a person in a navy blue shirt they seem to scatter in 5 different directions like those monsters in pac man after you eat the yellow power ball. So I told her "I'm looking for natural skin care and body care products...I'm not sure if you have any...Wal-Mart didn't..." That last sentence rightfully got me the biggest scowl from her like 'don't you dare say that name in here. Of COURSE you didn't find what you needed there!' Then she walked me over to this wall that was about 6 or 7 shelves high and about 4 or 5 arm lengths across and said 'Do you mean like these?'.........

That's when the tears started welling.  Discreetly though, b/c I didn't want her to think I was a loon. I already had one strike against me for mentioning the big box store a minute ago.  I pretended like I had to sneeze.  But I tell you, it was a thing of beauty.  That moment, I felt bad for my poor husband who will have to get a second job to support my skin care habit.  Just kidding.  I cannot let it get that bad.  All things in moderation. 

Wanna know what I found this week?  Here it is in all its glory and splendor!



Review: I think that this is just great...I say that with a sigh as I am staring @ it on my work desk in front of me.  I put it on my skin a few days ago on the day I bought it. I applied it at 5:22 p.m. and even after going to the restroom and washing my hands my skin still felt and looked hydrated and fresh.  I woke up the next morning and my hands still looked great.  I showered and only then did I have to reapply.  The ingredients are simple enough:
  • Castor seed oil
  • Coconut oil
  • Beeswax (it's natural but for really sensitive it may still irritate - I had no troubles)
  • Hydrogenated Castor Oil
  • Tocopheryl Acetate and Tocopherol (Vitamin E)
These were all ingredients I could work with. Simple, natural, uncomplicated.  There are no 26 letter chemical compounds to jump hurdles through and around to find out what they are.  The Environmental Working Group had no animal testing results saying nay about any ingredient. All ingredients were cleared.  

Pros:  Effective at alleviating dry skin.  I only used a dollop of the jelly (1/2 a dimes worth) and since it is so thick a little bit really stretched and I really got more than I bargained for. This will last longer than I thought it would.  The bottle states it's made without petrolatum, paraffin, mineral oil, artificial fragrances or parabens.  It goes on thick, but subsided after time and is subtle yet present.  It's hypo-allergenic. 100% vegetarian ingredients and NO ANIMAL TESTING (I know that's important to a lot of you).  Also, it can help prevent chafing and windburn, it gently removes eye makeup, is good for diaper rash and an added bonus - it will sing your baby to sleep afterwards!  (Not really)  Claims it's good for all skin types.  Nice.

which now leads me to the...

Cons: dum, dum, duuuum.....like in the movies.  So the only beef I have with this product is that after you put it on initially - you smell like what I imagine the inside of a hearse to be.  It's strong and musky and mediciny (not a word - it has that red line under it) all in one.  At first, I said 'Ewww...get it off me!' and then life got in the way almost immediately. Someone had to go potty (my kids), dinner had to be made, the night rolled on.  So I put it on at 5:22 remember? Well around 6 something (sorry, I meant to time it) I told my husband 'Doesn't my hand smell? I don't think I like this.'  (He loves when I tell him to smell something I just said eww to - don't we all?) He said, 'I don't smell anything...'.  So I smelt my hand, and sure enough not a smell to be detected.  My hand just smelt like life and my environment, i.e. fried plantains, fresh laundry, but nothing horrible like before.  I tried it the next day and the same thing, initially it could offend a skunk, but give it some time and the smell disappears and all that is left is..............(insert your name) scent.

Price: $5.99 for 3.5 oz (a little goes far though) @ 
Perfect Balance Organics
9264 Cortez Blvd.
Weeki Wachee, FL  34613
352-597-8100                                          
OR               
Order it online @ www.albabotanica.com

Summary:  I recommend it if you can get past the initial scent it's golden after that I promise you. I love it and I give it my 1st ever 5 carrot rating. (There's 5 carrots there)


Oh right...the GIVEAWAY! I was so wrapped up in my love for the product....yeah, yeah, yeah get to it - OKAY!  Alright, so here's how I figured out to do this....to be considered for this giveaway I made it really simple.  Just leave a comment.  Tell me about your day, if you like the site, products you want reviewed, music you want to hear, whatever...just leave a comment. You must leave contact info. also.  An email address or something.  If you are a private person, such as myself (you'd never know it!) then you can leave a comment anonymous-like and email your address to me through the address in my profile.  The winner will be announced LIVE, right here on Friday sometime.  Happy commenting people!  Talk to you Friday.

Music: Jimmy Cliff "I Can See Clearly Now" Great for a Monday!
My seascape photo was the work of Jessica P, my awesome guest photographer for the week. Beautiful work.  Carrots courtesy freedigitalphotos.net

3 comments:

Michele said...

I have bought some lovely products at Whole Foods. I could linger in their beauty aisle for hours...

Lynn said...

I probably looked like I was casing the place. I stood there for almost 45 minutes just studying everything that I found interesting. I dreamt about it that night.

Antique Mascara said...

I'm glad that it was your kids that had to go potty. hehe

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...