Pages

Monday, January 12, 2009

bodycology Fresh Waters

So how's ya week been? Good? Good.  Mine, not so much.  2 funerals in one weekend - nuf said. I am going to be honest here this week and tell you I was thinking of discontinuing this whole project.  Yep. Just close up shop and hit the road.  BUT WHY LYNN WHY???  THINK OF THE CHILDREN!! Well I've been down because my 2 friends passed away from cancer and everything I seemed to look up this week had something about cancer in it so... just a little hiatus I took.  That's all.  Also, I was researching things here and there, and came across an ingredient that led me to a site which led me to wikipedia.  The first site said that this ingredient was TERRIBLE and could possibly form an alternate universe if applied and eat your face off (I may be elaborating a bit -okay, a lot).  Well I read that and said 'oh boy! This is so going on my list of 'don't-put-ons.' I clicked on another link to wikipedia just to get the nitty gritty chemical makeup of it and all - wiki has a great database of chemicals.  So I scroll down to the portion that says Cancer and I start reading thinking 'aha! I caught you and I knew you caused cancer!' but as I'm reading, it states: the notion that this chemical causes cancer has been decided by the ACS (American Cancer Society) to be an urban legend. 
(WHAT?)  That you would have to orally ingest this chemical in it's rawest form for a super long period of time for it to really cause cancerous harm to you.  THEN.  It went on to say that (after looking at the ACS link on wiki) a Dr. Samuel Epstein, a founder of a non-profit called the Cancer Prevention Coalition alleged that ACS's motives are economically motivated, and reflect conflicts of interests with the pharmaceutical, pesticide, and mammography (mammograms) industry! 

This week I came across a lot of 'Not enough data to be conclusive'. That's always nice to hear right?

So really, therein lies my troubles and sleepless nights.  I want to put out an accurate report of things but how am I supposed to be able to do this when people - "they"- won't let me?  
I need a break.  My head is starting to swirl again...

Alright.  I've had some time to reason and I realize that I can't fight this behemoth industry alone.  Like H&R Block - I've got people!  There are great people out there trying to spread the word about skin and body care that I feel like I can really trust their input and I will continue to research on my own, thoroughly, and report back to y'all! Now onto the review...

I used this one day blindly not looking at any ingredients what-so-ever just to get the whole first impression without anything in my head about it.  Wrong choice.  After I used it I looked at the ingredients and my feelings were hurt.  Out of 24 ingredients, only 6 were cleared as safe. They are in order of Good to Worst Ever as follows:

The Good:  
  • Water - of course
  • Polyquaternium-10 - static electricity reducer.  Non-irritant.
  • Aloe vera leaf juice - natural ingredient, reduces flaking, restores skin suppleness.
  • Sweet Almond Oil - easily absorbed leaving skin soft and glowing, used in body massage.
  • Honey - natural, helps absorb and retain moisture, hydrates skin and prevents drying.
  • Glycol Distearate - non skin irritant, emollient (gives the skin a soft and smooth appearance)
The Bad:
  • Dehydroacetic acid - anything that doesn't have a lot of data about it on the INTERNET no less kinda creeps me out.  How come no one's talking about this stuff?  All I could gather is that its a preservative that is anti-fungal and antimicrobial.  It's also used in cleaning products.
The Ugliest:
  • Sodium Laureth Sulfate - it's what makes it foam; highly irritating chemical; can lead to skin damage, permanent eye damage in children - mama is that you? - and even liver toxicity.  Usually combined with 1,4-dioxane, which the FDA encouraged manufacturers to remove but they're not required by law to do so yet.
  • Cocamidopropyl betaine - possible allergen if you are sensitive.
  • Fragrance - it has very strong, potent scents to it.  I can handle alot of smell but to me it was a bit overpowering.  (We will talk more about fragrance next week)
  • PEG-150 Stearate - possible link to cancer and other health problems (sixwise.com)
  • Cocamide MEA - may be a carcinogen.
  • Laureth-10 - may contain small amounts of 1,4-dioxane (bad stuff)
  • Disodium EDTA - is both cytoxic (toxic to cells) and genotoxic (potentially carcinogenic leading to tumors) in animal lab tests. (wiki.com)
  • Phenoxyethanol - as of June 08 FDA issued a consumer warning that this preservative can depress the central nervous system and may cause vomiting and diarrhea.  (fda.gov, truthininaging.com)
  • Benzoic acid - natural preservative; 1 or more animal studies show sense organ effects @ very low doses, brain and nervous system effects @ moderate doses. (cosmeticdatabase.com)
  • Benzyl benzoate - may cause perfume allergy reaction (wiki.com) Possible human immune system toxicant.  The EU (European Union) classified it as toxic or harmful when used around the mouth or on the lips.  (cosmeticsdatabase.com)
  • 2-(4-tert-butylbenzyl) - this one was hard to find b/c it goes by alot of diff't. names.  (Lilial, BMHCA, Butylphenyl Methylpropional)  Only 2 symbols on chemblink.com says it is harmful and hazardous to the environment.  Possilbe human immune system toxicant.  Brain and nervous system effects, respiratory effects and reproductive effects in animal studies. 
  • Citronellol - possible human immune system toxicant; 1 or more animal studies show brain and nervous system effects, sense organ effects, skin irritation. (cosmeticsdatabase.com)
  • Geraniol - fragrance, known human immune system toxicant.  Brain and nervous system effects, broad systemic effects, skin irritation all on animals.  Has not been tested for safety in cosmetics by industry panel yet.   (cosmeticsdatabase.com) (We'll talk about that next week too)
  • Hexyl cinnamal - fragrance; possible human immune system toxicant; brain and nervous system effect, skin irritation, respiratory effect in animal studies (cosmeticsdatabase.com)
  • Limonene - fragrance; known skin and respiratory irritants.  Recent study of dermatitis patients, 3% were showing sensitization to limonene.
  • Linalool - perfume; allergen to those allergic to perfume.
My summary:  I have gotten to the point where I am tired of going to Wal-Mart and not finding good for me stuff there.  I don't know what I was expecting - but I tell you I wasn't expecting THIS!  Throughout all of those rows and rows of products I can't find a decent, safe one to save my life - LITERALLY!  So I am now going to start looking elsewhere for 'the goods'.  We have a great selection of natural and health food stores in my town so now the search is on like Donkey Kong to find something worthwhile that I won't have to return by the end of the week. I also want to start getting into giving some things away.  Right?? Okay, hopefully next will won't be such a dud.  Hang in there with me folks,  I'll find something someday and when that day arrives - HUHZA!!! - we will all rejoice and aloe plants will fall from the sky.......ouch and nevermind.  I also forgot to tell you how I am rating these things with the carrots - 5 will be the highest of the highest compliments.  One carrot - like last weeks loser - is the 'GIIIIIRL....don't even bother honey child!' (said in the deepest southern drawl you can muster) rating.  Sadly, we must follow in last weeks sad, sad, sad showing and say NO DEAL HOWIE!  - One carrot -
            
 
It's looks so lonely...

*pics this week are from FreeDigitalPhotos.net
*I apologize if this weeks post brought you down.  To turn this day great again play the music to the left of the post.  Just click one.  Go ahead.  Feel free to dance. 
Music: Yael Naim "New Soul"

9 comments:

Joanna said...

That is A LOT of JUNK! yik...

Lynn said...

Isn't it though? And it isn't necessary which is so much more angering to me.

Antique Mascara said...

Sorry it's so late, but sorry to hear about the funerals. Hope you got through it alright.

-T

Lynn said...

Yeah it was a rough few days after that. Lots of meals being brought all over town. But we survived and we will only deal with this a little while longer right? Right. Thanks for the concern.

Anonymous said...

I have been surfing on-line greater than three hours nowadays, but I by no means found
any interesting article like yours. It is beautiful worth enough for me.
Personally, if all webmasters and bloggers made excellent
content as you did, the net will likely be much more helpful than ever
before.

Look at my webpage ... dog family pet and companion

Anonymous said...

Hey There. I discovered your blog the usage of msn.

This is a very neatly written article. I'll make sure to bookmark it and return to learn more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I will definitely comeback.

Also visit my weblog; kids table and chairs set

Anonymous said...

Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author. I will make sure to bookmark your blog and definitely will come back very soon. I want to encourage one to continue your great posts, have a nice weekend!

Here is my web site; youth baseball

Anonymous said...

Can I just say what a comfort to discover somebody who really understands
what they are discussing on the net. You definitely understand how to bring an issue to light and make it important.

More people have to check this out and understand this side
of your story. I was surprised that you're not more popular since you definitely possess the gift.

My site: heart rate watch

Anonymous said...

If some one desires to be updated with most up-to-date
technologies after that he must be go to see this web page and be up
to date every day.

My web site :: strapless monitor

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...